Aspencade Arts & Crafts Fair - ”Days of 1895 Steampunk Style”
LAST WEEKEND IN SEPTEMBER!!
September 27-29, 2013
Come to Red River for one of the best arts & craft shows in Northern New Mexico!
Theme again this year… Days of 1895 Steampunk Style!!
Want to join in on the fun but don’t have any Steampunk stuff? Stop by these shops when you get into town and start your collection TODAY!!
What is Steampunk you ask?
Steampunk is first and foremost a literary genre, or least a subgenre of science fiction and fantasy that includes social or technological aspects of the 19th century (the steam) usually with some deconstruction of, reimagining of, or rebellion against parts of it (the punk). Unfortunately, it is a poorly defined subgenre, with plenty of disagreement about what is and is not included. For example, steampunk stories may:
- Take place in the Victorian era but include advanced machines based on 19th century technology (e.g. The Difference Engine by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling);
- Include the supernatural as well (e.g. The Parasol Protectorate by Gail Carriger);
- Include the supernatural and forego the technology (e.g. The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers, one of the works that inspired the term ‘steampunk’);
- Include the advanced machines, but take place later than the Victorian period, thereby assuming that the predomination by electricity and petroleum never happens (e.g. The Peshawar Lancers by S. M. Stirling); or
- Take place in an another world altogether, but featuring Victorian-like technology (e.g. Mainspring by Jay Lake).
To learn more about Steampunk go to www.Steampunk.com
This Craft Fair has what you are looking for. We will have food vendors, and also a vendor that will be serving refreshing spirits, so please bring your IDs with you. We will also have roasted corn, turkey legs, hamburgers, and shrimp on a stick, just to mention a few.
There will be live music performances, crafters will be giving demonstrations, sculpture painting contest for the kids on Saturday and an exciting Chamber raffle sold during the event! All applications were mailed to last years vendors, so if you did not receive yours, please call us at the number below.
So come to Red River for a fun filled three day event that will have you coming back year after year!
For a vendor application: Please call with your e-mail to Red River Chamber: 575-754-2366 x1
More exciting things to do in Red River!
- Go HIKING or BIKING on one of the many Carson National Forest trails
- FISH the Red River and surrounding lakes. Free CHILDREN’S FISHING POND on Pioneer Road
- Take a FLY FISHING trip with FAGAN’S GUIDED FLY FISHING
- Ride the chair lift up and MOUNTAIN BIKE down the ski area trails
- Go CAMPING at one the many Carson National Forest Campgrounds
- Take an ATV tour to Greenie Peak or on Bobcat Pass
- Rent a JEEP and tour the high mountain 4×4 trails
- Take a guided JEEP TOUR to see the area and learn aboutRed River history
- Take a HORSEBACK riding tour
- Book a WHITE WATER RAFTING tour on the Rio Grande River
- Ride the SUMMER CHAIR LIFT to the top of the Red River Ski Area
- Go SHOPPING at our many gift shops for one of a kind souvenirs
- Visit the Red River Historical MUSEUM at the Little Red Schoolhouse
- Go ROLLER SKATING or play MINIATURE GOLF at the Black Mountain Playhouse
- Rent and ride a SURREY, MOUNTAIN BIKE OR A DIGGLER from Sitzmark Sports
- Play Frisbee golf, tennis, basketball, volleyball or ride your skateboard or BMX at MALLETTE PARK
- Go DANCING or just listen to our TALENTED MUSICIANS at the local saloons.
- Backpack in the WHEELER PEAK WILDERNESS AREA
- Visit the Red River FISH HATCHERY on NM 515 south of Questa
- Get a MASSAGE or SPA TREATMENT from one of our local massage therapists
- Stop by the Chamber of Commerce Visitor Center for info on other DAY TRIPS from Red River
- Try the climbing wall, bumper cars, and more at MIKE’S FUN PLACE
- Ride the chairlift to the top of the ski area and play the new DISC GOLF
- Have your FAMILY PORTRAIT taken by SouthernExposurePhoto.com